Sunday, June 1, 2014

Zombies Zombies Zombies!!!

Seems like you can't go a day with out hearing something about zombies.  Zombies are taking over the world, at least on print and on screen.  Seems like everyone is writing about zombies or trying to make a movie/TV show about them.  So, if you love to read about zombies like me, how do you choose a book or a movie?  I know I've recently read a few bummers and I was even let down by Brad Pitt's zombie movie World War Z.  I'm not saying the movie sucked, it didn't.  It just didn't do it for me.  The book was much better.
I love zombies! As a matter of fact I love zombies more than they love to eat humans.  And, I've thought a lot about why so many zombie movies/books are missing the mark.  I think the reason is simple.  The movies/books are more about zombies than people.  That's why The Walking Dead is so big.  There are compelling stories about HUMANS, not zombies, their relationships and how they are surviving!  Relationships are formed and change.  The Walking Dead makes you feel like... this is how it would really be if zombies came.
I am a big fan of The Walking Dead, but to me it's still missing a key ingredient.  The hero's in many cases make the wrong choices.  I understand that hero's aren't perfect and they shouldn't be, but when it comes to the big decisions, like another human's life they shouldn't miss the mark.  For instance, in The Walking Dead, when Rick Grimes drives past the hitch hiker who is clearly all alone with out picking him up.  It didn't sit well with me.  When they drove back and the hitchhiker had obviously been killed by zombies Rick stopped for his back pack.  In my eye's Rick Grimes missed a huge opportunity to be a HERO, you know a GOOD GUY with a good heart who wants to help people.  The writers can do what ever they want and The Walking Dead is a HUGE success so maybe I should shut up... or maybe I should write my own story... oh, I DID!
I've been working on my own novel for over 3 years now, actually since before I even heard of The Walking Dead. It's hard to believe how much work goes into these things, but I believe I have a compelling story and it's different from anything else zombie related that I've read or watched and my test readers have LOVED my novel so far.  My book is called "THE ENRAGED" and I am less than a year from publishing.  My story is about a 29 year old woman, Shay Donovan, who is a mother of 3 little girls.  Shay is separated from her family during an outbreak.  The story bounces back an forth between Shay and her husband, JT, who is with the 3 girls.  My story is filled with moments that will scare you, make you laugh and make you cry.  The question is, will Shay find her family before it's too late?  I don't want to spoil the book in any way, but I wouldn't bet on it.  There are other things the separate my novel, "The Enraged" from other zombie literature and I'll tell you more about it in future posts.
http://www.theenraged.com/For updates or zombie post, follow my novel on facebook @ https://www.facebook.com/TheEnraged2013

No comments:

Post a Comment