Sunday, July 6, 2014

Writing a novel is Hard work - It's the little things that make the difference!

My novel, "THE ENRAGED" is complete, but it is currently in the hands of my final 4 test readers.  I spent about an hour on the phone with one of my test readers who happens to be a weapons and survival expert.  He suggested two little changes and I just shook my head.  Sometime I wonder how my book made it through more than a dozen other test readers and the 25-30 times I've read the novel and not caught such silly mistakes.
#1 He recommended I change the word clip to magazine when talking about guns.  He laughed and said that a clip is what a girl puts in her hair.  I said well a magazine is what she reads when she's waiting for her hair to dry.  He explained why magazine is the appropriate word and I made the change.
#2 In my story there are users of crossbows. I kept calling the bolts arrows.  I know this so I was surprised and disappointed in myself for missing this one.  I guess it's one of the HUGE advantages of test readers.
I've always believed that it's the little things that make the difference between anyone or anything being GREAT.  Who wants to be good when spending a little extra time and taking a few more steps can make it GREAT.  Cheers to all those who've helped me with my novel.  I appreciate you more than you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment