Saturday, July 5, 2014

Author Tyler Wilde @ The Spartan Race (BEAST) Half Marathon in Utah June 28, 2014

Tyler Wilde swimming for his life at the Spartan Race (BEAST) Half Marathon 6-28-14
12+ miles later Tyler Wilde jumps the fire - Spartan Race (BEAST) Half Marathon 6-28-14
This last weekend I participated in the Reebok Spartan Race half marathon obstacle coarse. It was a real butt kicker.  For me I've always loved a good challenge and I believe participating in events like this help give understanding for a novel such as "The Enraged" where the few remaining survivors are tried and tested.  Never was my life in danger, but this event absolutely pushed me to my limits physically. Unfortunately my training for this event was interrupted by an small back injury which didn't allow me to train.  I was unable to jog for 3 weeks before the event.  The advantage of this for my novel is that most people won't be in tip top condition when the apocalypse happens.  There were several hill climbs that really kicked my butt and I had to stop and rest if not just for a minute.  It's real - at some point your body can't physically go any further and you have to catch your breath and let your heart rate come down.  By the time I crossed the finish line, I WAS DONE!  People were handing me water, banana's, energy bars and my medallion... but it felt like a dream because even my mind was tired.  When I crossed the finish line I thought, I'll never do this again.  Then a few hours later as my strength returned and as my pride grew for finishing such a trying event, I thought I'll be back next year for sure!  I want to thank the organizers of the Reebok Spartan Race for putting on such an amazing event... it was an experience of a life-time!

No comments:

Post a Comment